Sunday, June 28, 2009

Birth Story and Pictures

In all my pregnant glory outside the Redlands Community Hospital
Yes, I am still alive! I have been taking it easy while a whirlwind has been going on around me. Because Brooklyn was measuring so big on the 17th, the Dr. scheduled a c-section for the next day. I called my mom and she literally turned the car around from work to pack and drive over. She was and is a life-saver! Thank you, mom! She arrived that night.

Proof that I wore make up this time
We went in June 18th to get admitted for the c-section at 1 pm. I was nervous up until that day, but Scott gave me a beautiful priesthood blessing and I felt calm and peaceful. I went in to the operating room around 1:30 pm. The anesthesiologist found the spot on my back (which was painful--hard pushing), numbed the skin (which was a stinging, burning sensation--not pleasant) and then gave me a spinal block. That part wasn't so bad. It worked pretty quickly, too. I'd say it was much more pleasant than getting an epidural. They got me all prepped and between 5 and 10 minutes from starting, I heard a sweet little cry. Brooklyn was a whopping 8 lbs. 15 oz. Healthy girl! Probably less than 2 minutes later, Scott came back from baby to check on my placenta. By that time, it had been removed with no acreta or anything. We were both so, so relieved. I said a silent prayer of gratitude to God. I feel it was an absolute miracle that everything turned out just fine. Our prayers had been answered.

I am not going to lie. It was a little freaky being so conscious and hearing scissors, knives, and smelling cauterizing flesh--my own! Scott just kept talking to me and I tried really hard to be distracted. It is definitely a different experience having a c-section without laboring 32 (Jake) or 36 (Alisa) hours. I was much more aware of what was going on! Still, the recovery has been SO MUCH BETTER without labor. I am relieved at that. Not that I am functioning at 100%, but I am a lot closer to it than the last two times. I am so grateful for modern medicine.


Like I said, now I am taking it easy recovering. My mom did a great job playing with and distracting the kids while we were in the hospital and when we got home. Scott has been full-time daddy, which is such a blessing. He and my mom also did a number on our house, which is now fairly scrubbed clean and getting close to being all packed. Thank you! Scott's mom came over to help on Thursday and was great at just whisking the kids away and providing meal and Grandma time. I am so grateful to have such loving, supportive family members (not to exclude both Grandpa's--I know it's a sacrifice to let the Grandma's come).

My brother and sister-in-law came to visit (with cutie-pie nephew, too), which was fun. I will miss being so close to them.

Now it's just the five of us. I am so glad that Scott is done with school and is free to be full-time da-duh (as Jake calls him). He's great. And some more good news...

SCOTT PASSED BOARDS! YEA!!

I am so proud of him. We've learned so much over the last few months with all these trials and set-backs we've had. It's been a blessing to re-learn how helpless we are and how much we need the Lord. It's hard to let go and give him control, but it has been wonderful to see what he does to shape us and mold us.

Swimming at the YMCA--my bro, Jared and Corban
Frog slide

Jare, Manda, Corban
Daddy-daughter time
Grandma Crane and Jakey
She is a little [very independent] fish
Here's where little Corban slept--in the kitchen corner. Gotta love a small, full house. Lots of love here.
Princess #1 in her "aunge" (orange) wrap.
Daddy loves his little princess #2
Alisa covered her up with a blanket. She's changed so much already!
Our three little munchkins!
Look how tall Alisa is! All of a sudden she seems huge!
She loves the baby and constantly mauls her.
Beautiful flowers from Grandma and Grandpa Seaman--Thanks!
Both Grandmas and Scott took kids to market night. They loved the snow cone!
Grandma Seaman to the rescue!
What a sweetie! There's something about a baby with hair. I am so in love.
Jake loves her, too.

20 comments:

alpine alert-pali eternal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alpine alert-pali eternal said...

Congratulations on your little arrival. I love the last picture of this post... Jake with Brookie. It looks as if he has been teaching her what she missed in the last general conference. We wish you guys all the best! You and Scott are out numbered now :).

Jinky said...

I'm happy to hear of your miracle! You look great and sweet Brooklyn is incredibly beautiful! Beautiful family all around. Congratulations to you all ... also for Scott's passing his boards. --Just bummed you're moving, I was just getting to know you. Best wishes and please keep in touch. :)

Treasuring Life's Little Moments... said...

Congratulations!! She is such a cutie! I think she looks like Jake!:) Glad to hear you had good news while in the hospital. You guys have a beautiful family!

Carleton & Robyn said...

I loved reading your blog and hearing your story. What a beautiful family.

Jennifer said...

I am so happy to hear the details. I'm so glad it went so well, and that everything healed itself in your womb! What a miracle, you're right. And yes, little Brooke has already out grown her new- newborn look. It's amazing how fast that happens. You, my friend, look gorgeous. THREE kids! Wowza. Big congrats to Scott. Hang in there during these early days! I know you're a fabulous mama. I hope you continue to heal quickly. Love ya.

Jacqui said...

Einstein said something like, "You can live your life as if nothing is a miracle, or as if everything is." I think you got a miracle, and I'm so glad!

BTW, that baby of yours is stinkin' CUTE!! I cannot wait to meet her. And the pics of your THREE kids...what the...? (as my sweet children would say) How did you get three kids, Ali? Before you know it, we'll be tied.

Thanks for sharing your story. So glad Scott passed. He's a smarty pants, as are you. Your kids got some great genes in more ways than one.

Sure love ya.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Did it feel a little anti-climactic having it scheduled? I'm a little worried about that with my scheduled section...

Melanie said...

Beautiful birth story! You are so amazing! Thank you for sharing it! She is so precious. We're so happy for you and the blessings you've received. I love the Lord's tender mercies! We're so excited that Scott passed his boards. Congrats! Glad to hear that your recovery has been easier this time! Take care. Can't wait to see you guys some time!

MamaCta! said...

Congratulations! She is such a beauty. Thanks for passing the word to the "pre-school crew". We will miss you next year. Much happiness to you and your family.

Clara

megan said...

Congrats Ali and Scott! What an amazing miracle! I am SO glad that things worked out so well and that you are doing well!! What wonderful news for sure!! Congrats on boards as well! A huge relief I am sure!! I hope you are all well!! Good luck with everything!!!

kaiandkristi said...

Congratulations!! What a beautiful little girl! Loved reading about the delivery. Glad things went smoothly and that Scott passed boards--what a happy time:-) Hope you're enjoying being done with school and the newest addition to your family. So happy for you!

Mindy and Marty said...

OH my gosh, Ali and Scott - good job!
SHE is BEAUTIFUL! Such gorgeous features and perfect little face. I am so happy for you ...I was wondering when you were due ...I love the name too. I am scared for 3. But looks like your doing okay! she's sooo pretty. congrats

snlbarney said...

What an adorable family:) I am so glad that things worked out, a true blessing! She is so cute - I love the pic in the pink blankie with the white binki - she looks like Jake to me:) Good luck on the next adventures!!

Laura Mc said...

Larissa just came in and said, "ahhh! What a cute kid! What's her name?" I thought she was asking about Brooke, but then she pointed to Jake. Jake's definitely cute too.

Congratulations! Aren't husbands great? I wouldn't have done so well in my c-sections without him.

I'm glad everything turned out well for you.

Melissa Zuber said...

Congrats! What a cute girl! Aren't planned c-sections a lot better. I mean either way it has to come out, but it was nice to have a set time. You look wonderful. I hope your move goes smoothly!

Heidi said...

Such a cute family! I love all the baby pictures. She looks so calm and happy! Congratulations, and keep in touch! We sure will miss seeing you guys.

KerianndJacob said...

She's SOOO Beautiful! But then again ALL of your kids are! Thanks for the email Ali, here you are having a baby and moving and emailing me!
We are going to miss you guys and hope you come visit us anytime you need a Disneyland fix.
Good Luck on all your NEW adventures!

Nicole Palmer said...

I'm glad to hear that your taking it easy & enjoying your new little girl. She is sooo cute! All of your kidos are adorable.

Coleen and Todd Staples said...

Your little baby is so precious! you guys have made beautiful children! i'm glad you have been getting some help from family.