Friday, June 5, 2009

Life and Death

It is strange how the Lord's timing works. I always think I've got it all figured out, or I guess I forget that the Lord has his own timing that may not be the same as my own. These past few weeks, it has been pretty clear that the Lord is in charge of our life, and that I am not. It is a good reminder--one that helps me be humble. It is also humbling to know that with all the billions of people who live and have lived and will live, God cares about me. Wow. I am slowly learning and relearning to trust in him. I feel at peace, even with so many uncertainties right now.

This week, Scott's Grandpa Frost passed away. We are so sad. We didn't expect it right now. It's interesting that without death, I don't think we'd value life. It helps me remember why we need opposition in all things. We would live, but would we appreciate it? Death seems to help me remember how precious and fragile our life is, and how the Lord has his hand in all life. Grandpa Frost was a wonderful man. Even right up to his final days in the hospital, he was worried about me--about this pregnancy, the baby, my placenta situation. How caring and unselfish. I am so grateful to have a loving family of in-laws. I am blessed to have known Grandpa Frost. We will miss him.

And life! So precious. Our nephew was born this week, a few days after Grandpa's passing. Life is such a miracle. Here's little Luke, so sweet. Every baby is a miracle. With our complex make-up, it is always a wonder that babies are born so healthy! Little Luke was a whopping 9 lbs. 3 oz. What a little man! We are so excited to meet him. It's strange to look at pictures of Scott's sister holding this baby, and think, "Wait a minute! She's a mom!" She was 16 (I think) when we got married. It's fun to see how life continues on and how we can still feel joy, even in sad times. 
I feel so blessed to know that no matter what happens, the Lord has a plan for me and for my family. 


6 comments:

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

What a beautiful post Ali! Brother Frost was/is such an amazing man and I feel so blessed to have known him as well! He was truly always thinking of others and always so kind!
And isn't Luke the cutest???? How fun that we have a nephew together hu? Who would have thought back on choir tour that life would end up like this? It is so great!
You are always in our prayers Ali, we know that you are in the Lords hands!

Jinky said...

I enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing your sweet testimony. --Wishing/praying for good health to you and your baby.

mary said...

That was a beautiful post, he sounds like he was a wonderful man!

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

So true! The funeral was very sweet and inspirational. What an awesome man-- I didn't even know him well, but the few times I was around him, he made an impact on me.

Ashley said...

True words indeed. I enjoyed listening to Scott yesterday-especially knowing all that you guys are dealing with right now...it was such a positive way of saying, "wow, a lot of stuff has sucked all at once for us. And I am sure it will be good for us..." I betray my own pessimism for revealing that, but I look up to you guys and your maturity.