Monday, January 24, 2011

Conversations with Kids

Today I painted Alisa's toenails and fingernails. It's a big deal, because I rarely paint my own (much too lazy) so she gets the shaft a bit. Actually, the last two times, Jake has painted them for her. Anyways, She found some little bottles of perfume from Clinique (I never wear perfume. Really, just too lazy. I promise this is not all about how lazy I am, but I am.). I explained what it was. She paused, and then...

Mom, I smell different.
What do you mean, different?
I smell stinky. Like old balls.
Old balls? You smell like old balls?
Yes, like the old bouncy balls that were in the bath. They were stinky. (longing look at the perfume)
Do you want some perfume?
Yes! Then I won't smell like old balls.

She keeps me laughing. Later, Scott came home for lunch. He commented she smelled funny. I told him about the perfume and how she smelled so good. Like an old lady! he said. I guess my perfume smells like old lady. Maybe it's time to give it away.

Jake keeps praying for the opportunity to be blessed. I like his word usage. He is also singing along with all the hymns, reading them. I am amazed. Grandma had to explain that even if we read faster than everyone is singing, we all need to sing together.

Brookie always wants "food" which is no surprise. However, I don't think she knows what food is, since no matter what I try to feed her, she still asks for food. I've given up, and just put some on her tray and let her keep asking.

7 comments:

Mindy and Marty said...

what a riot! the old ball thing is hilarious...i can totally hear you saying..."you smell like old balls?!"

Katie said...

old balls, huh?! That is super funny! Your kids say the darndest things!

Bethi said...

Her and her smells!! She is nuts. :) So funny. Love you guys!

Colleen said...

The other day she meticulously went through all the bottles of perfume I have on my bathroom counter, picking them up one by one and saying "what IS this, Grandma?", as if she didn't know it was perfume. Then she wanted to sample each one, applying at least 5 different smells. She didn't smell like old balls, but it was an interesting aroma!

Jennifer said...

YOU and YOUR KIDS crack me up! I love it when you post!!!

Carleton & Robyn said...

I don't know why but I'm feeling a little sad right now. I miss you. I wish we lived closer. You are one of my favorite people. I have such great memories with you.

Mindy and Marty said...

i responded to your silly comment on my blog.