Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sleepless Nights

Well, not exactly sleepless, but my kids have been getting up in the middle of the night to go potty, then not going back to sleep for a few hours. It's not that fun. I get a little grouchy.

The one kid who is the constant, fantastic sleeper is Brooke. She sleeps from 7 pm to 6:30 or 7 am. Without fail. No dream feeds, no interruptions. I hope I'm not jinxing myself here. Last night I went in to check on her. She had pooped. Nice. She was sound asleep. Scott and I tried to quietly change her together. I heated up her wipes in the microwave and he changed her (I can't reach her in the crib). She was awake, but went almost immediately back to sleep. Yay! Sigh of relief.

Alisa woke up at 4:45. I put her back to bed after a potty break. She stayed awake, turned on the light, woke Jake up, and partied. They were really nice to stay in their room. When they came out around 6:15, they shut our door. Then they came in and asked if they could have a yogurt. I was awake the whole time, but tried to go back to sleep. Oh, well. Here's to another crazy, tired day with the kids!

Jake's at preschool. Alisa fell asleep on our extended drive home. Brookie is asleep. Maybe I'll sleep. Or shower. Or both. Hmmm...

On an unrelated note, our kids have had the worst gas lately. It is really gross. They think it's hilarious. They'll totally rip one, then say "toots!" and laugh really hard together. Yes, I am trying to correct this behavior, but so far, no success. It might have something to do with the fact that we've had beans at dinner for a week straight. Scott made some scrumptious chili (3 different kinds and all were so good!) followed by two straight nights of soft tacos, my go-to meal when I don't want to cook or nothing sounds good. Does anyone else have one of those meals? Mine is always soft tacos. So easy and quick.

9 comments:

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

Oh, man. Do I need to just accept the fact that I'll never sleep again? I mean, really sleep well? What is with kids getting up so dang early in the morning????
Your last paragraph had me laughing!!!

Caleb and Jenni said...

ha ha I love this! Love it, love it! I can't wait to come see you guys again! I miss your kids so much (and you, of course!). Someday I am going to convince Josh that I deserve to live close to my family. I deserve it right? :) Miss you, love you!

Carleton & Robyn said...

Funny story.

Let me know next time you come to CA. I'm 10 minutes from Disneyland. I love Torrey Pines.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

My go to is soft tacos too.

AshleyS said...

mine is costco ravioli with pesto and salad...just served it to my family tonight actually :-) prep is 5 mins. love it for days like today.

Jacqui said...

My go-to meals are eggs and toast with a fruit smoothie (lazy, I know, but the kids love it and it's balanced) or bean burritos. That spinach ravioli from Costco is easy and pretty healthy, too!

Sorry about the sleep. McQueen was like Brookie--he'd go right back to bed after almost everything. Babe? Not so much. Can't even move her from the car to the house for a nap. I LOVE when my kids start school only for the reason that they're tired at bedtime. About 1st grade. We'll see if Jaker is that way or not.

Missed you today. Thanks for the text.

Kristi said...

WOW! Your vacay looks like it was a blast!!!! How fun to go to D-land with your sis and her family!!!
Laughing sooo hard about the week of beans! Nice.... my go to is bean burritos, spaghetti, or.... breakfast for dinner!!! MMMMMM! Ya, I am not very inventive on "those" nights;)

Mindy and Marty said...

i can't believe you heated the wipes...you are an amazing sort of mom.

i can not deal with sleepless nights...I could never have ruby and liam share a room cuz i know that would be the case. actually liam is still in a crib so i haven't crossed that bridge yet and i'm way scared to 'change' things up with the sleeping habits...it's so nice right now.

the chili thing= that's hilarious.
it's hard to control with kids and gas... if ruby stinks in church with a toot or something i get really embarrassed cuz no one believes when you try and blame it on your kid...or in church your not actually going to say anything so it just silently stinks and that sucks...kids need to learn when it's appropriate to hold it in, right?

Melissa said...

First of all, I'm sorry that your kids are waking up in the middle of the night, but I have to know, how in the world do you get Alisa to wake up in the middle of the night to go potty? Jordan's been potty trained for 3 months, but we still don't have night times down. So congrats, and sorry all at the same time! :)

I love the bean story, the other day Sam tooted rather loudly and laughed out loud. 10 months old and he already thinks it's funny. Oh well.

My go to meal is soft tacos too or spaghetti or shepherd's pie. OR if I'm really lazy Papa Murphy's vegetarian pizza.