Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Prayers

For weeks, Jake was saying the same prayer... a very efficient prayer.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the wonderful day we have.
Thank you for the wonderful things we have.
Thank you for the wonderful stuff we have.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

In an effort to try to get him to be more sincere and thoughtful, I emphasized how we can tell our Father in Heaven what things and stuff we're grateful for. What stuff are you talking about? Let's tell Heavenly Father how grateful we are that we rode our bikes, played outside, went to preschool, etc.

Jake's solution?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the wonderful day we have.
Thank you for the wonderful stuff we have.
This is the stuff:
Riding our bikes, playing with our toys, playing outside, our friends, playing dad's computer, watching movies.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Well, I figure it's a start. He hasn't watched a movie or played a computer game for at least a week. I think he is living in a fantasy world. He would love to play computer games and watch movies all day, but we've had such beautiful spring weather here, we've been riding bikes and playing outside all day, every day. The kids haven't asked for a movie or computer time for a long time (hallelujah!). I love warm weather.

Alisa's prayer is more like this:

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this day.
Thank you for the wonderful day we have (follows in her brother's footsteps).
Thank you for my princesses.
Thank you for my princess nightgowns.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

The princess additions are her own doing. At least she's thinking of what she's sincerely thankful for!

I am slowly rereading the talks from our church's General Conference .

I read a great talk from Julie B. Beck. I'll leave you with this thought:

We know we are successful if we live so that we qualify for, receive, and know how to follow the Spirit. When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves. We can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when we feel the Spirit working through us.9 Peace, joy, and hope are available to those who measure success properly.


3 comments:

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

Ok, here are my efficient comments. Haha!:)
Love the prayers! That's hilarious!
LOVE the Julie talk. I think it was my favorite!!!
Love the cake you decorated!!
And...you are LUCKY if you look like that without makeup. I wouldn't even allow a picture to be posted of me without makeup.

Jacqui said...

Love those kids. Babe prays about Woody and Buzz. Can't wait to see these two girls together at EFY!

A said...

Love the prayers - sweetest part of the day when they actually participate. Our girls are still frequently thankful for Crocodile lake. I guess we need to branch out and watch something other than Dora the Explorer