Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bad Mommy Moment

Alisa got a sunburn on her poor bald head and her arm. Ouch! Bad mommy. I even bought sunscreen the other day, but thought I was doing a good job of keeping her in the shade!

I had a wonderful and crazy day today. I was feeding the missionaries tonight and was going to prepare simple Mexican pork, only I woke up and realized I didn't have one of the 4 ingredients. So Jake, Alisa, and I ran to the store before 9 am. Then I watched my friend's 4 kids and Jake was in heaven playing with them all! I must say it is quite a difference to have 6 kids in this little two bedroom house. They stayed for lunch (I sent their mom to the store with just the youngest... I had a compassionate moment! It's hard enough to shop with two kids!), then ended up filling up the little pool, stripping naked, except for the 6 and 8 year old kids, and having a ball. They eventually were all wearing Jake's swim trunks and shorts, sliding down the toddler slide into the pool, skating on the water skateboard in the pool, playing rough, making mud, etc. You get it. Boys. 

After Cheryl got back we stayed and chatted while our kids played for another two hours. They helped clean up the toys (thank you!) but I was still feeding the missionaries so I kicked it into high gear to really clean, vacuum, mop, do dishes, bathe the kiddos, etc. It was nuts. I worked non-stop for quite a few hours. I somehow managed to finish making some burp cloths for a friend's baby shower tonight at 7. 

Anyhow, the missionaries came, dinner was great, and we even had dessert! Bad, I know. But it was scrumptious! I'll post the recipe. Simple. So that went fine. They left after 7 and I got the kids down. Scott came back and I left. I felt like I had worked miracles tonight pulling it all off, but I got to the shower for little Brooklyn and realized I had given her the boy gift I intended for another friend on Saturday. How embarrassing! She kept the burp rags, but really, the boy jammies I had to take back! How sad. Just when I thought I was so awesome, I failed. Ha, ha. Oh, well. No one knew me at the shower anyway, so it wasn't too embarrassing. I was just the girl who came late and brought a gift for the wrong gender. 

I still haven't gone into the kitchen. I think all the dishes are waiting for me... again! Scott had to go back to lab so I hurried home from the shower, to my relief, and am now rambling on and on.... look out, dishes, here I come!

2 comments:

AshleyS said...

oh my gosh, you had the craziest day! it was SO nice of you to come to the shower, she had a good turn out. I was REALLY surprised! we planned for a lot less poeple. but thanks for coming, i can't believe you found time to make those burp cloths. they're darling. when i have another baby, i am going to buy some from you.

Kristi said...

Whoa super Mom! What a crazy day:)