Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lake Powell Week #3

Ah, Lake Powell. The water and weather are so warm this time of year. I love it! Going as a single mom was interesting... not too bad. Luckily my family is really helpful! It was somewhat quiet since we only had 3 kids there, ages 3 and under. It just worked out perfectly that my parents were going to Powell the week after Bethi's wedding. I have so many pictures (thanks for the dvd, Jare) but here are a FEW.
Here's my bro, Jared, carving it up on the ski. He was rippin' back and forth.
Monday before we went, Jare, Amanda, and I went to Oak Creek to pick blackberries and hike around. It was lovely. The water was brown from recent rain, and FREEZING, but we had fun. We found lots of ripening blackberries and a few ripe ones. It was fun. We stopped at Midgley Bridge (sp?) and hiked down a bit to this natural water slide. Like I said, the water was freezing. Jared was brave, then convinced Amanda and I to go for it. The creepy part was all the big fish trying to swim up the stream. They'd hit our legs and we'd squeal (well, not Jare). It was fun! We made it back by about 2, loaded what was left to load, and headed for the Lake. 

We were going to have a leisurely dinner and sleep in the slip, but it ended, of course, in yet another adventure. Forgotten ski boat keys, multiple trips to Wal-mart, only half the stuff to make dinner on the houseboat, the other half and the kids beds with the ski boat. It ended when dad's boat storage friend jimmy-rigged our boat to get it to start. We put the kids down at 10:30 and ate at 11pm. Late night. 

Everything else went perfectly... nearly. One wave runner had a dead battery, but we ended up on a gorgeous beach with no pokeys and plenty of space for the kids to swim and play. The water in our cove was calm and it was pretty private. Thanks, mom and dad, for a fantastic trip!

Jare and Manda before hiking down
Amanda and I testing the water
Alright, Jare, I'll go for it!
Notice Amanda's scream
My brothers helped Jake catch the hugest catfish in the Lake! Pierced his eyeball.
Horse balls on the beach. That's what we call it, anyhow.
We hiked to this hole in the rock. It was really fun and amazing what the water's done to the rock. This is the back side. 
My brothers alternated doing pull ups whenever they got a chance. I did two half-pull ups. Doesn't that equal a whole? Can YOU do a pull-up?
Alisa loved to be drenched by this squirt bottle.
Alisa and Lisa on the Sea Wasp--she was really chill about it. 
Tarah and Josh picked up a bow and arrows for Jake. Thanks, guys!
The bow and arrows for Jake came after Jake saw the mighty hunter, Josh, practicing his skills.
Here's the front view of the hole in the rock. We missed you, Scott!
Jared sprinted to get this family picture to work. Thanks, Jare!
I actually caught a little air this time--getting bolder by the year!
Josh and Jake driving the boat.
Nudist at bath time. If I kept Jake from taking a nap, he was down and out by 7pm. Let me just insert here I had two lovely POOP incidents. First, mom put Alisa down for a nap with just a diaper on. Please refer to the BYU nude sleeping pictures from a month ago as to why this could be, and was, bad. 

She was still whining 15 min. later. I went down and saw a wet diaper outside the pack'n play. First bad sign. She had poop smeared from her chin to her toes and poop in both fists. Sick! I had to scrub her down with soap and fine sand as far from the houseboat as I could. SICK. 
Thanks, Mom and Dad, for a great trip! This is a view from the top of a hill across from our camp. We were way back in this channel.
Jake, Me, Josh. Jake took a bad fall last time and was hesitant to ride again. 
Here's Jake's dive (I did not teach him to do this, he did it himself. Alisa LOVED the sand. She dug like a dog, wallowed like a pig, and created her own slide down the sand. GREAT BEACH.

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

Great pics. Can you say "jealous?" How fun.

I can't believe Jake's dive/swim. Has he been in swimming lessons? What a pro. He should go pro.

Lize has been taking off her diaper lately. Thankfully we've had not pooping drama with her (yet), but we've now made Eth very aware how gross it is to sit in poop. Today he was supposed to take a nap, but crawled out of his crib (a new skill...took him long enough to figure it out, and I'm glad!), removed his pooper and proceeded to use about 50 wipes to wipe his own bum. Just a little poo on each wipe. Oh, he also sat on the floor with a pooey bum. So, it was major carpet cleaning for me. Honestly, I was more bummed he didn't take a nap than cleaning up the poop!!

Sometime soon I will document that whole episode on my blog with pictures. So, look forward to that! HAHA!

Juls said...

HOW FUN! Jake is SUCH a good swimmer - he must be a CA baby!

Ashley said...

Oh, I am jealous. I think Powell is my favorite place on the planet. And seriously, what isn't Alisa chill about? That is awesome that she will just hang out on that thing...er, wherever.

Caitlin said...

Hey Ali. Lindsay said you know how to get your blog into printed scrapbook pages. Can you tell me how to do it?

Camille said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!! Im impressed by your wake skills Ali!! The wedding looked great. I love the cake!