Monday, February 23, 2009

! Viva, Mexico!

I wish I could go to Mexico right now! Since I'm not there, here's a little taste of some EASY Mexican recipes that I love... and may have mentioned before.

Crockpot Shredded Pork Tacos

1 pork shoulder roast
minced garlic
kosher salt
hot mexican chili powder

Trim off any visible fat--which is a lot (it's a fatty cut). Pierce pork roast with a knife about 6-8 times per side. Stuff a little minced garlic into each hole. Rub with kosher salt. Rub with hot mexican chili powder. Cook in crockpot on low for 8-10 hours. Take out. Shred, removing fat as you go. Return to juice. Serve in warm corn tortillas with fresh lime juice, sour cream, shredded cabbage, and Tapatillo.

Posole (Make it with leftover pork)

3 lbs. boneless pork, cut into chunks (usually shoulder is best, but you have to remove fat when it's done cooking. Lean pork cuts are drier)--or just use leftover pork from above. Can use less than 3 lbs.
6 c. water
5 c. hominy 
1 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. leaf oregano
1 t. cumin (more or less to taste)
3 red chili pods or 3 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 to 2 tsp. salt, or to taste

Place pork and water in saucepan and cook, covered, about 1 hour. Shred. Add remaining ingredients, tasting for salt. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Tob with shredded cabbage, sliced green onions, cilantro, and lime juice. Can add more red chile to make it hotter. Can top with sliced radishes. 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the recipes! I love Mexican food. And I love hominy and don't eat it much, so I'll for sure try the Posole. Oh, and the telemarketer story is hilarious. It's amazing how rude they can be. I'm glad you didn't get ticked. We've gotten pretty mad at them. I usually start crying and tell them the person they want died a week ago. They don't ever call back. :)

megan said...

Yum!! I'm excited to try those tacos! Thanks for sharing!