Friday, January 25, 2008

Gashes and Messes

On Wednesday, Jake fell and split his head open. I must say, I was pretty calm for how much blood was gushing and how many tears were flowing. You never know how you'll react until you're in the moment, you know? I cleaned it up and thought it looked a little deep. I decided I ought to take him to the ER or an urgent care, just in case he needed stitches. I called my neighbor, Melissa, to come watch Alisa and Hallie. I called Scott on the off chance he'd answer, and guess what? He did! It really was a surprise. I told him and since his patient canceled (2 l's?) he met me at the ER. He said it would be fine with a butterfly bandage, so we got some and fixed Jake up. Then the challenge was slowing him down! He was ready to jump and do tricks on everything in sight, with Hallie in tow. He managed not to split his head open again, although he got a few more owies that morning. Pictures to come...

Alisa is now in the army-crawling-exploring-mess-making phase. She has taken down all the dvd's she can reach (and Jake completed the job by taking out the ones she couldn't reach!) and has gotten all the books on the bottom shelf. She empties anything within her reach. It's pretty funny, but a little scary, too. She loved emptying out the bucket that holds diapers, wipes, and baby things like that. We found her hitting a baby nail clipper into the piano bench and then trying to eat it. Time to child-proof!

8 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh poor guy! I am so proud of you for how you kept your cool! I was a wreck when Russ bit his tongue in half and it wasn't nearly as bad as what Jake went through!

Jacqui said...

You were calmer than I was when Ethan split his head open. Then again, I was mostly freaking out because I was mad about HOW he split it open. Where did Jake do it? (on the bed, etc.) As I was reading your post you wrote that Alisa likes to empty the bucket that holds the diapers, and my first thought was, "Oh no! The dirty diapers!" hahaha. Having a crazy toddler (or two, with Hallie) and an army-crawling baby is a lot to handle. I don't know how I'll manage it in a couple of months. AHHHHHH!!!! Are you guys going to hike Havasupai?

Jacqui said...

BTW, Ethan wouldn't leave his closures on his head, but luckily it hasn't scarred too badly.

Camille said...

My mom always assures me that you can keep your head in the moment and when it's all over, then you lose it. Boys are sure busy!

Anonymous said...

I hate it when my kids get hurt...good job on taking Jake in. Belle has a horrible scar in her eyebrow that I should have gotten stitched, but my mistake was calling Ross and asking him what he thought, he told me not to go...why did I trust him when he didn't even see it? I am lame! Good luck baby proofing, it is no fun!

Bethany and Cameron said...

Hey guys--it's Bethany (formerly Kimberlin, now Comerford)!! You guys look great! Way cute kids!:)

Juls said...

oh man! That does not sound like fun! I am glad everything works out. When I had to take David to the ER surprisingly Aaron was off. Isn't it great when it works for REAL busy dads. When I saw Aaron I knew everything was going to be okay. I think he was there more for me than David!

Ashley said...

Yes, two L's. I am just hoping that my husband will learn how to do stitches here pretty soon so that I don't have to go to the dreaded emergency room when Eli splits his head open on one of the various danger spots in our house. Uh.