Monday, July 14, 2008

Bugs

I hate them! I hate all the bugs in the whole world! (Name that movie... although in the movie it's orphans not bugs)

Welp, when we got in from our lengthy vacation, we were greeted by a lovely trail of ants coming from a cupboard of dishes, along the wall, above a door, and into our food cupboard. Lovely. The honey, among other things, was not salvageable. There were dead ants in our salt shaker. They are everywhere. So that was a lovely time first thing the next morning. After cleaning them out for an hour, they came back! So, twice cleaned, then three times. I think I tried to get rid of them around the same area five or six times. They are finally gone... at least, the big army trail of ants is gone. I now find them exploring our house randomly in small groups. 

In the bathroom was evidence of a termite invasion. Man, if there was ever a time for the circus tent to come, it would've been while we were out of town anyway! So we have ants and termites inside, along with a lovely mosquito that must still be alive as I have fresh bites on my ankles tonight. Mosquito bites are never fun, but they are worse in the heat. 

I went into our overgrown garden (which only survived by the mercy of our neighbors) to pick some huge zucchini. While reaching down I happen to glance down and right in front of my fingers was a lovely red-bellied black widow. Nice. Glad I didn't grab it. I found another one in the eves of our house but it got away, and a third one making a home in our mailbox. Welcome to Cali. While there are many advantages to living here, there are some drawbacks, too. Like black widows, cockroaches, and ant infestations. On a positive note, Cali is wonderful in the winter. Can't beat it. 

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Nachooooooo

I am with you, sista. Your trantula-killing bravery is long gone. I admired you while it was alive and well in Honduri, however.