Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mother of the Year

You may think that I earned my Mother of the Year status because I, along with three friends, decided to brave Disneyland sans husbands with a toddler and a babe, which was no picnic, I will tell you. While we survived to tell the tale (and actually had a lot of fun), that is not why I now have the status. (By the way, this was a long time ago, I just forgot to post it. I think it was around April...) 

Our "single mom" day at Disneyland was actually pretty successful. Mercifully, someone helped us on and off the tram and we survived. The kids loved it. Before I tell of the scary moments I had, let me just say that I lied. Flat out. I have since repented, but Jake was barely three and I said he was two. That's how I know it was April. Welp, never again. I got my punishment, which was the following: 

We were getting on the elevator. Jake was walking in front of the beast I call a double stroller (see picture). The thing doesn't turn on a dime. So he gets on the elevator. I go for it, but the stroller hits the side and doesn't make it in. Jake is on the elevator alone. I run to grab the door as it's shutting, but only get the outside door, not the inside (who knew? There are two!). So the door shuts. The elevator has an unknown destination. Jake is BARELY three, and alone. I freak. The girls stay with Alisa at the elevators and I blindly sprint up the first escalator I come to. By the end of it, I am out of breath and I don't remember that many stairs. That's because I took the LONGEST escalator and ended up on the seventh level of the biggest parking structure in the world. Yeah, I was panicked by then, to say the least. 

I push the elevator button and nothing happens for an eternity. The escalator only goes from the seventh level to the ground, no stops in between (there are other escalators, each going to a different level). Just as I get on to go back down, the elevator doors ding and open. It is empty. No Jake. Ah! So I get on and press every level. It opens on the sixth floor: No one! It opens on the fifth: three people enter and see my horrified state. WHERE IS MY SON??? They haven't seen him. We go down another level: No one. I am just SICK! You can imagine.

Finally, Christy calls. He is down at the bottom. Whoever had called the elevator up (to who knows what level--not the seventh!) had taken him back down. Poor guy! I was beside myself and SO RELIEVED all at the same time. 

I got home and told Scott that no matter what, I was paying for Jake from then on. I learned my lesson. Dishonesty does not pay. Ever. Amen.

P.S. (which has nothing to do with the aforementioned) Thank you to all those who came and supported Scott! It was, in my opinion, a great and spiritual concert. I love his rich voice. I was a bad wife and didn't take a picture, but I will post one when I get my hands on one. Thank you all again!

2 comments:

Cambrienelson said...

ohmygosh-- that would scare me to death! what a nightmare! What a way to get your heart racing!

Jacqui said...

That puts me in a panic just reading it, and I already knew the story!