Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Deceptively Delicious?

Here's Jakey-boy at about 6 months. He looks older. It's the hair.

Jake would not eat his stir fry tonight, although I must say it was a pretty good sauce from scratch (credit due to Scott--he gets creative in the kitchen). So, inspired by Jessica Seinfield's cookbook, I spread some mixed veggie puree on Jake's cheese crisp (quesadilla, if you don't know what a cheese crisp is). I tasted it, and thought it tasted normal. Fine. Nothing fishy about it. Scott tasted it. He had to turn his face away from Jake because he almost gagged. I really didn't think it was bad. Jake tasted it. "Hey! What did you put in there?" were the first words out of his mouth. I was cracking up as I responded "Cheese! It's just melted cheese! Here, have some ketchup with it." Jake LOVES ketchup, usually. He dipped and tried another bite, then promptly spit it out. "I don't like the melted cheese! I don't like melted cheese! It's yucky!" Welp, by that time Scott and I had lost it. We were cracking up and I finally spilled the beans. Needless to say, we had to toss the low-carb tortilla with smuggled veggie puree and start over again. So much for deceiving the little guy! 

8 comments:

Kristi said...

That is adorable! Good job for trieng (trying???) ! We love seeing what we can sneak in extra too!

Treasuring Life's Little Moments... said...

He is just too dang smart!! That is funny! YES I did feel like a traitor going into Home Depot! You will have to be a traitor with me and take Jake! He will love it. I guess every Home Depot does it the first Saturday of the month. Let me know if you go!

Lori said...

haha! That's hilarious. He's a smart boy. Love the picture, by the way!

Jacqui said...

I laughed my way through that one...Happy BIRTHDAY to JAKE TODAY!!

AshleyS said...

Jake is hilarious! That picture of him when he was little is so cute. I need dinner ideas, I'll have to try out that book one of these days. See you tomorrow night! :-)

Jacqui said...

Okay, so I have to tell you that I tried to pull a Deceptively Delicious trick on my kids today. I added about 1/2 cup pureed squash to the mac and cheese. Well, Miss O's friend was the first to try it, and immediately said she didn't like mac and cheese (not too concerned...maybe she doesn't.) Without even trying it, Miss O. says, "I don't like it either, Mom." I told her in no uncertain terms that she would eat the mac because she needed energy for kindergarten. She took one bite, and while she usually likes m&c, I knew by the look on her face that I was sunk. "Ew! Mom, did you forget the milk or something? This is SICK!" Are you sure? I asked. Try one more bite. Maybe you just got a weird one. Miss O: "EW! Did you forget the milk or WHAT? It's SICK!!!"

So, I can trick them with the pumkin in the chocolate cake, but not the squash in the mac.

Melanie said...

He's such a cutie. Josh is the same way. Kids are just so smart.

Camille said...

Darn it! I was saving that book for when I have older kids. Maybe it's just bad luck with squash? :)

I love the hiking pictures! Way to go with two kid packs in the Grand Canyon--very impressive!