Monday, April 21, 2008

Show Me the Money

Jake, bless him, wanted to go to Chik-fil-a today and play. We were close to it, so I consented. I told him very specifically that we were not going to buy or eat anything there, but he could play for 15 or 20 minutes. Of course, he was happy just to go. I know I sound like a cheapskate, and I am, pretty much. When you are on a tight budget, you just don't get in the habit of eating out, especially just because. 

Welp, we played and played. I had to threaten to leave Jake there to get him to come out of the playground. He came, screaming that he wanted some chicken nuggets! Some ice cream! Some lemonade! I finally got him in the car and here is our conversation (roughly):

Me: Jake, we can't just eat Chik-fil-a any time we want to. We just don't have the money for it all the time.

Jake: We can get the money at home.

Me: No, we don't have money at home, either. 

Jake: Where did the money go? When can we get some money?

Me: Well, we can get some money when dad is out of school. Then he can work and get us some money. 

Jake: Oh... Can I still have some lemonade at home?

So, any of you who have conversed with Jake know that this is really how he talks. Poor kid! Literally! Ha! :) 

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

That is a funny one. He is such a smarty pants. So, did you make him some poor-man's lemonade? Haha.

Okay, I reminisced in the comments of my last blog post. You'll be interested to read it, promise. Read Mom's comment first. Pretty funny. XOXO

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

That is really funny! That is so smart, though. Just tell yourself he'll thank you for it later when your family is not in even more debt because you were careful during dental school. :) Is Scott going to take over at his dad's office when he's out?

AshleyS said...

I'm laughing so hard at your "poor kid...literally" comment. But seriously, even if you are going to get fast food, I don't think Chick-Fil-A qualifies. That place is super expensive for a stupid little chicken sandwich!

Ali said...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recipedetail.htm?recipe_id=63938

chicken with mango salsa recipe