Friday, April 18, 2008

Initiation into Motherhood


So Jake was sick yesterday. He had a high fever that didn't really go down, despite the ibuprofen. I was packing food up for Disneyland (I didn't realize he was sick then) and he kept calling me in to lay by him, sit with him, etc. One of those times he said, "Mom, thanks for giving me attention!" Oh, the guilt! He was sincere, but I kept leaving him and NOT giving him attention! 

He asked me to put him to bed. It wasn't even noon yet. So I did. About 5 minutes later, he was out. He slept for a good hour or so, then woke up extremely cuddly, especially with Scott. We should've known something was wrong! We left for Disneyland and after a long time in the car he started saying he was sick. We exited onto Ball Rd. and he threw up all over himself. Sad!!! It was making me feel really sick... you know the smell. I had to help clean him up and change his clothes (always be prepared when you go to Disneyland!). The whole time I was thinking, "Don't throw up. Breathe. You're ok. YOU are the mother. You HAVE to do this!" So I did. Now I feel like a real mom. And Jacqui, Scott said we must be real parents now, because this is something that would happen to Jacqui and Jeff! Ha! 

We ended up going to Disneyland, since Jake said he was feeling better and really wanted to go, but he was dragging a lot. After a bit we decided we should just go home, but by then there was rush hour traffic so we stuck it out. We took it easy, watching the Darth Vador/Darth Maul (sp?) show, Tiki room, buzz lightyear ride, and even PIRATES! Jake refused to go on Pirates before yesterday, but somehow he decided he wanted to go. It was fun. Anyway, we chilled and hung out there. On the way home we pulled over on the side of Ball Rd. again and Jake threw up. Poor thing. So we are laying low today, and his fever is almost gone. There is an update. The end. 

9 comments:

Jacqui said...

Oh, poor boy! That is not fun for any of you. And that is definitely an initiation into "real" parenthood!! Have you washed his carseat yet?

This reminds me of Ashley barfing all over in the car right after Brad & Zoe's wedding. We had a babysitter watching her at the reception, and she let her have all the cake and BRIGHT PINK punch she wanted. It all came up on the drive to Milan and Patricia's house. Nasty!

I hope Jake feels better soon. Trust me, there is much more barf in your future...;)

Jacqui said...

BTW, that is the most adorable picture I've ever seen of the Jakester.

Cambrienelson said...

Oh misery! No fun at all. Especially in the car when you have to smell it forever. I hope he is better soon!

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry! I wish I knew you guys were at Disneyland we could have met up and said hi!

Anonymous said...

What a cute picture of Jake! I can't even count the number of times I have been thrown up on. I can handle my own kids, but anyone else throwing up I loose it. I think it is built in us as Moms. I am sorry Jake was sick, but glad that he is feeling better!

Kristi said...

Sooo sorry! I hope he is feeling better by now! You just gotta love it! Our best was when we were all cuddled on the couch watching a movie on Christmas. Emma threw up all over ALL of us (including brand new hannah...)
Good job gettin through it!

BTW - I need to call you re: womens conf and I need your address for the book exchange:)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

AshleyS said...

awww, we've been doing the throw up thing today, funny that i happened to read this post at just the right time. glad i'm not the only one. :-)

Colleen said...

Yes, barf definitely makes you a real parent. Why is it that barf is so "real"? I guess because good times are easy and the rough times require work, sacrifice and true love! Welcome to the "real" world of family life!