Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Don't Think, Just Run.




Our new motto!
Desert Classic Marathon
2 February 2008
Welp, we did it! It was so much fun to run with all the girls from the Marathon Mommas! This marathon was so much easier than the last one. The course was much better, even though it did seem to be uphill both ways, but running with a group of girls made all the difference! Thanks, girls, for getting me past the wall I hit at mile 24! That was rough. Jen, your music made a world of difference. Thank you! I am so proud of all of us! I finished in 4 hours 25 minutes. I really felt great the whole time (until the last 2 miles). We couldn't see the finish line until we had .2 miles left. It was awesome to get to the top of that last hill and sprint it in. I am sure I looked so slow, but I felt like I was sprinting! 

I came home with 7 different brush burns (chafed skin--ouch!), blisters on my little toes, and a hurt knee. It was totally worth it and I'd do it again...I did promise Scott I wouldn't run another marathon until he was out of school. So, I'll do it again in a few years!

14 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

ALI!!! Absolutely amazing! How in the world did you manage to do it while nursing? (or are you past nursing already?) Did you bring your kids on all your practice runs? Even the long ones? I would LOVE to try to do at least a half marathon sometime, but I felt like I should wait until Dean's a little older...

Totally impressed.

Jacqui said...

She is not done nursing, if you can believe that! You're amazing, Ali. Good job!

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

I am so amazed...that is so cool. I can't even run around my neighborhood without getting tired. Nice job!!

Ali said...

Hey, thanks. Really, if I can do it, anyone can! I got a great running stroller and started jogging when Alisa was 6 weeks. I did it when Jake was a baby, too. The jogging stroller makes all the difference. It's really nice to have. Look on craigslist.org or .com if you want a deal. Anyway...I took the kids during the week and then ran without them on Saturdays during the long runs. The mid-week run for this race was 8 miles. The longest for the other training I did was 10 (mid-week) so it wasn't so bad with the kids.

Celia, if you have a jogging stroller that will recline, that helps when they're really little. You can also roll up a blanket for head support. Just some tips. Jake really liked/likes going, as does Alisa. It's fun. Good luck. You could totally do it!

Ashley said...

Good job...Be careful what you promise...

Colleen said...

Ali, good job! What about a half marathon? You're not going to trash your knee, are you?

Jen-ben said...

Oh my gosh! You are my idol! How awesome for you to do this!!! You're kids are so so so CUTE!!!

Coleen and Todd Staples said...

So cool Ali! That takes so much work and will power. I love th motto... I need to adopt it in more ways than one. Congrats on meeting the goal! Be proud!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

What brand of stroller do you have? I've been looking on craigslist for a jogging stroller, but I just don't know what is good...

The reclining thing is a good tip. All of the things I was reading said you couldn't take babies in jogging strollers until they were 6 months...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

does
this
look like a good stroller/good deal?

Ali said...

That looks like a great stroller! My friend has that brand and really likes it. They say 6 months or older for liability reasons. If you are running on the road or sidewalk, he should be fine. I think if you were out in the woods on a rocky trail or something, you might want to think about taking him first. LIke I said, support his little head and lay him down and he'll be fine. My friend rolled a blanket up and put it around his head (like a car seat head support) and it worked great. It really does look like a nice stroller. Supposedly, the ones with 16 inch wheels are ideal for running. good luck!

Kristi said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!! You have always been one of my heros and keep proving all the time why you always will be!
I feel so lame -my goal is a 10K - you could do that as a warm up!

Kristi said...

Also - so jealous that you get to run outside!! Too icy here:) In a few months I guess I will be able to again!

Jennifer said...

Way to go!!!!!! 4 hours and 25 minutes?! Great time! How inspiring.