Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Haps

Just another fun craft with Jake--sock puppets. So easy! We made two and added pipe cleaner horns to each. They are way fun!
Aw... Twinners!
Sweet kiddos drinking milk.

The Haps--reminds me of my friend Nicole Hutchibuns (Nikki-buns for short). We'd always write notes back and forth in school (elementary?) and start off with "What's the haps?" 

We went on a very last-minute trip to Scottsdale, AZ for the weekend. Thank you so much, Les and Linda, for a wonderful time! It was so nice to relax and hang out with family. We made it there (through much rain) by dinner time Friday and stayed until Monday afternoon. It was a lot of fun! It was pretty cool Friday evening and Sat. but Jake still went swimming both days. Sunday it warmed up. We played some fun games... sorry about getting so intense with the screwball rummy everyone! Somehow my competitive side tends to come out during games when I play against Scott!!! Nertz was, as always, super fun.

Monday was pretty warm and we were out at the pool by about 9:30 am. I put sunscreen on Jake but never reapplied, and I thought (for some reason) that I didn't need sunscreen, as it wasn't too hot and I had been in the sun a lot here in Cali. Welp, we both ended up with sunburns and hurting! I mostly feel bad for Jake, since it was all my fault. Lesson learned: reapply every hour! We were out until around 1 pm. 

So last night in his prayers, Jake branched out from the food prayer and said, "Please bless my sunburn on my back to get all better. Help me to feel better and to be good as new. Help my sunburn to get better!" I really had to hold back the laughter. Good as new? What a crack up. 

Alisa is cutting her 1 year molars and has been in bed whining for almost 2 hours now. Poor thing! I just went in to make sure she wasn't poopie, and as I lifted her up, she kicked. Now I have a slightly fat lip. Thanks. And no poop, just sore gums, I guess! 

I have been giving Jake "schoolwork" lately (preschool pages off the internet) and he is eating it up! He'll say funny things like "Oh, I have to finish my schoolwork" and "Just a minute! I'm doing my schoolwork!" He LOVES it. I am not organized at it, but he loves it and is eating it up. 

We played hide-and-seek today for probably an hour. Jake was hilarious! He'd skip from 5 to 10 and leave me dashing madly to get a hiding spot. I hid in some funny places that were not obvious to him. When he'd get close, I'd jump out and scare him. He would crack up. I love his laugh! It's great to see and hear him laughing like that. Speaking of, lately Jake has had this made up language that mostly consists of saying things that sound like pacha (and variations of that word). He'll answer a question with three or four words like this put together. It's been a bit annoying, but he did it at the dinner table tonight and I shocked him by playing along. We had a hilarious conversation all in his little language. He really thought it was funny when I'd say something about Alisa or Dad (gesturing to them as I babbled away). Again, that full-on laugh that I love. It's so fun to be a mom! These are the delightful moments I live for!

7 comments:

Jacqui said...

Looks like Jake will take after his parents and be a studious, smart nerd. Hahaha... He is a whipper snapper, that is for sure!!

Fun post. Love the haps.

Colleen said...

Cool sock puppet. You're so crafty. I'm so impressed.
Have you thought about organizing a joy school? Jake is old enough and I bet you have enough friends who would be interested. I think he'd eat it up.

Melissa Zuber said...

I love the prayer, good as new! The secret language sounds fantastic! Your stories are really funny.

Kristi said...

Soooo sad that you guys got burnt! Derek did too, next time someone needs to remember the sunscreen! Glad you had a fun time and I LOVE the prayer!

Kristi said...

Sorry, I was j/k (re sunscreen), I figured you did have it... somewhere...;)
Thanks - I was SOOO excited to do those pics - I collected the clothes to match for SO long (i got Hannahs dress before we even found out if she would be a girl - I just trusted my intuition and Emmas comments. I am still trieng to sort through themall and find which I like best
BTW - I got the CUTEST pics of Derek and Bethi, I will email some to you. They are so adorable!

NNA said...

Hi , I found your blog by searching for “Nertz” online. It is cool to see others that know the game. I hope you don’t mind but I just wanted to let you know about playnertz.com. It has got a bunch of Nertz information there as well as videos and online Nertz games. Feel free to check it out. Also you, your friends/family are welcome to join fellow Nertz players in The National Nertz Association while you are there.

Rich and Carla said...

Hey I didn't know that you had a blog. I'll have to let Ashley know she loves to blog. Cute grandkids. It will be fun to see them in August.
Love, Carla