Monday, May 12, 2008

Women's Conference Weekend... Finally!

Women's Conference was such a blast! Can I just say a HUGE thank you to Linda for flying me up there? I am so grateful I was able to go! I forgot how wonderful it is to have some "me" time and focus on the spiritual. I have felt lately that I am spiritually stuck in a rut. I think I have been too focused on the little, unimportant things (who needs a spotless house, anyway?) and have not given enough time to things that matter most, like my kids and my own spiritual nourishment. I know, it's weird that I can be a stay at home mom and not be here too much for my kids. There are always other things that call me away and take all of my attention. 

Anyway, Women's Conference was really motivating to get me out of that rut and start to refocus. I am excited to study the gospel and teachings of Jesus and the prophets once again. It was wonderful to be able to finish the two days of spiritual feasting with an address by the prophet President Monson. He truly is called of God. I was grateful for his remarks. The spirit was so strong as he entered the room. I felt a calm, peaceful feeling and confirmation that he is God's mouthpiece on the earth today and that he speaks the will of Christ. 

A common theme that I got from the classes I went to was the powerful influence I can have as a woman--in my own home and family as well as in society. I feel empowered that I can raise my kids to be great leaders and citizens, that I can improve the environment they are in (as opposed to just complaining about the system, the way "they" do things, etc.). Anyway, sometimes I just need to step into the mess and play with my kids instead of always trying to clean it up right away! 

Here are some pictures from Women's conference. They are all borrowed from others, as I FORGOT to bring my camera to ANYTHING! How LAME am I???? (Please send pictures if you have them!)

Here's my mom, my sis Lisa, me, and sis Jacqui. Besides sitting all together at the closing sessions, we actually went to a class together! Fun!
Here I am with Linda (my mom-in-law), Bethi and Kelsi (Scott's sisters), Carolyn and Kristi Goodman (good friends from Flag). So much fun to be with you all, and may I just say you are great yarn rollers, too!
After the conference ended, I went with my mom and Jacqui bowling at the BYU. I found out what I must've known deep down... I am a terrible bowler!!!
Thus, I was VERY excited when I got a strike! I pulled a split eagle move spontaneously, which they made me repeat for the fans. Yeah, still got the moves. 
Jacqui says, "I love this ball! Eet ees the best!" (Name that movie!)
Nice pose me. Sleek.
My mamacita in action. I think she won. Right? Obviously I am very competitive...can't even remember!
For my birthday, we went to Noodles and Co. (recommended by Jenni--thanks!) We were being so silly! They gave us free rice crispies, trying to bribe us to leave, I think! We didn't take the hint and WAY overstayed our welcome!
Li and I being silly. Rice crispies make great maracas! 

Lady and the tramp? We were being so ridiculous!

Squeezed in for the picture! Mom, Jacq, Me, Li

My birthday cookie (another "please leave soon" bribe that failed.)
The next day we went to the tulip gardens at Thanksgiving Point. They were awesome! 
My mama and daddy-o, looking hot!
Another tulip garden shot. So gorgeous!

Lunch on Saturday at Cafe Trang--yummo Vietnamese food! We had pho and (here goes phonetically...tell me if I'm right, Jacq) bum-tick-nun-chai-ya! Ha, ha. It is yummy rice noodles with veggies and cut up egg roll and pork and it was delish. Li got some carmel pork which was awesome!!! I heart Vietnam!

Then how cute is this? My nieces disappeared on Saturday morning and came back bearing gifts! They each made me a birthday card and gave me a homemade hair bow (three different ribbons on a bobby pin), a mood ring, a snowman picture holder, and $5! They are so sweet and it was a very generous gift that I will treasure. It reminds me of Li's red nail polish gift a little! :) But hey, the $5! They aren't skimpin' are they? And yes, I know, lovely jammies by me. They're Lisa's from girls camp long ago. Thanks, Li. 

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Mother daughter stuff ees thee best! Nachooooo!

Nicole Palmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole Palmer said...

Ali you look SOOOOO beautiful - I think the best you ever have looked (you have always looked great but wow)! It looks like you guys had a blast - I've NEVER been to Women's conference - looks awesome.

megan said...

What a fun weekend!! I'm so glad you were able to go! And do have recommendations for good Vietnamese food around here???

AshleyS said...

thanks for sharing your thought son women's conference, it's nice to hear what you got from it since I didn't go. but most importantly, awesome toe-touch!

JLJ said...

You neglected to mention your favorite moment at WC: seeing me! I lost the program you wrote your blog address in so in a couple hopeless attempts I started typing in probable Seaman Family blog addresses. And after only 3 attempts I found it! (Yours is by far the best Seaman family blog). It's fun to see all of your pictures, I can't believe how great your dad looks! You mom looks great too. Anyway, I'm so glad to have you on my blog radar now. Yay!

Jen-ben said...

I'm so so so ashamed I've never been to womens conference! I neeeeed to go next year!

mary said...

Looks like you had a blast!! You are so cute and tan!!! Happy super late birthday by the way! and I am very impressed with your cheerleading jump! go Ali!!

Anonymous said...

What a great time it looks like you guys had! How great to be able to get away and be with your Mom and sisters!