Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Terror Child = Terror Mama

Ok, he's not a terror. But I sometimes am! :) I cannot get Jake to obey. I mean it. I can't do it. I don't know what to do, and although I am sure this is typical 3 year old behavior, I am sometimes so exasperated! 

I believe that any kind of violence, however small, is not the right way to discipline. It's not right for me. It would make me feel nothing like my Savior. Quite the contrary. 

So, I've been brewing over his disobedience and my reactions a bit. I decided to read a talk from the April General Conference (click here to read it) for my scripture study. As I was reading along, I felt very sure there was a reason I was reading this talk. I am sure Heavenly Father is trying to tell me something and I am so grateful. It is amazing that God and that Jesus Christ really do know me  and love me and care about what I  am doing to raise my children. 

Here is part of the talk (especially the last two paragraphs):

We are also to teach our children to honor their parents. The fifth commandment states, “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”19

How can we best teach our children? The Lord has given us specific instruction:

“No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long‑suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

“By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

“Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy.”20

When a child needs correction, you might ask yourself, “What can I say or do that would persuade him or her to choose a better way?” When giving necessary correction, do it quietly, privately, lovingly, and not publicly. If a rebuke is required, show an increase of love promptly so that seeds of resentment may not remain. To be persuasive, your love must be sincere and your teachings based on divine doctrine and correct principles.

Do not try to control your children. Instead, listen to them, help them to learn the gospel, inspire them, and lead them toward eternal life. You are God’s agents in the care of children He has entrusted to you. Let His divine influence remain in your hearts as you teach and persuade.

Yeah, that was for me. How often do I put my arms around Jake and just love him? How often to I persuade him with love and gentleness, with kindness? I tell him often how much I love him, but could I show him more?

I went to a Relief Society Devotional and one of the ladies said that we are all special to our Heavenly Father and Jesus, and even though it's hard to think of ourselves as someone special, it is true. I know that's true, but it was reconfirmed to me tonight. Out of all the billions of people who live and have lived on the earth, I am important to my Heavenly Father and his Son and they care how I raise my kids. Amazing. I am renewed. I can do it!!!

I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions on the matter...


10 comments:

Nicole Palmer said...

Oh that is SO good!!!! Thanks for sharing - I think this is inspiring for ALL mothers!! MY daughter is VERY disobediant & thinks it's hilarious to disobey. My mom-in-law (who is educated in child development) always says to distract the child with something new (if throwing a fit) & to correct with kindness. Example "we don't touch the curtains becuase they will break - come over here and let's play with this doll". Followed by praise & a hug. She ALWAYS says to teach as the Savior does. Every time I feel crazy & I'm pulling my hair out over disipline I call her & she reminds me what to do... works EVERY time (at least for me) ;o)

Colleen said...

You are very wise, for one so young. How wonderful that you are actively seeking the Lord's help as you work on the noble calling of motherhood. I love those "ah ha!" moments when the Lord opens our eyes and hearts and minds to His will and His wisdom. You are an awesome mom.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Do you use timeouts already?

After 2 warnings, using a very firm voice, take him to the time out spot, tell him why he's there and how long he has to stay there. If he gets up, put him back (gently, but firmly) without saying anything, and start the timer again. When the time is up, go talk to him and explain again why he's in time out, give him a big hug and tell him how much you love him.

Another thing is to reward good behavior and actively point out and get excited (high fives, hugs, kisses, whatever you can tell he appreciates) when he does good/helpful/obedient things. But I'm sure you already do that. Just keep on keepin' on. =) You're a good mama.

AshleyS said...

That blog was so nice to read, thank you! Last week I noticed a change in Hailey. She was getting easily frustrated and would cry when I'd walk out of the room, which is unusual for her. She just didn't seem content. So this week, I decided to make a change. I have been available to play with her, cuddle her, make her laugh and her attitude has totally changed! I just think she needed to feel content about her relationship with mom. Yes, my house isn't as clean as normal and the laundry is totally piled up, but Hailey's happy and I'm able to get work done b/c she will play contentedly and know that I will play with her at the drop of a dime b/c that is the most important thing in my life. She's only 1, but she needs to know that she is so important to me. Work and housework can wait. Being a mom is amazing--where else would I learn these lessons!

Anonymous said...

I needed to read this...I feel a lot of the same ways as you do. Thanks! I love the part where you wrote "Don't not try to control your children....that is what I need to remember!

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

That is so amazing! It is the best feeling to know that we are helped individually with whatever questions or issues we have. So cool! I'm sure you're a great mom!

Jacqui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacqui said...

Oh, Ali, I love you! I haven't been able to get on your blog (for some reason...?) for awhile now.

I love this talk. It really stood out to me and I talked specifically about what you quoted with Jeff. We have to be mature and grounded so that we don't freak out (act like children) when OUR children freak out. It is so true, yet so HARD sometimes. Self-mastery is hard, especially when you're tired and annoyed. Constantly trying is what will eventually make us be who we really want to be. It's when we give up, or give in, that we fail. Thank you for sharing this. It is incredible advice.

I have a friend who has grown kids who absolutely adore her. They do because she LOVED them, and showed that love. If nothing else, that is what makes you a good parent. And if you love them, you'll teach them, etc. But it's that showing of love that is imperative to growth and security in a child. Okay, I am on the road to an epistle! HAHAHA! ;)

Seriously, though, I think you are a great mom. And that you are looking for self-improvement and the spirit to guide you shows it.

(You know this from my kids, but every kid responds differently to discipline. You know that practically NOTHING worked with my#2. Jake will grow out of it. Sometimes you truly pick your battles. Not everything should be a battle (I know it's not for you, but I know sometimes I feel like it is around here and I have to remind myself to praise rather than reprimand.) Okay, 'nuf said. Love you!)

Jacqui said...

When I'm talking about giving up or giving in, it's not to the children, but to our own selfishness and emotions. I just re-read my comment and thought it needed some clarification. ;)

JLJ said...

This is something I have to re-learn all the time. It's so freeing to remember that your goal isn't complete control or strict obedience. Thanks for the inspiration!